Palm Grove Johnny Cake Recipe
The Johnny Cake is a staple in Anguilla’s culture and, many Anguillian families have that one member who everyone looks to to provide those scrumptuous “cakes”. It goes with everything! Lobster, ribs, chicken, shrimp, alone, you name it!
In our summation, Palm Grove in Junks Hole has some of the best Johnny Cakes in Anguilla, if you disagree, tell us where you think has the best Johnny Cakes in the comments section below!
For your delight, we have provided you with their Johnny Cake Recipe so you can try to make it yourself. Tell us if you got it as good as theirs by leaving a comment below or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Serving size: 1-1/2 dozen
- 4 Cups Flour
- ¼ Cup Cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 ½ Cups Water
- Sift together flour, cornmeal and baking powder. Mix together with salt and sugar.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add vegetable oil then slowly add water.
- Mix carefully until mixture is not sticky.
- Knead into a ball until smooth.
- Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough into a long strip and cut into small pieces.
- Knead each piece into a small ball.
- On a floured surface, flatten each ball with a rolling pin or your finger tips and palms.
- Add about 1/3 frying oil into a frying pan or enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- When oil is hot, add flattened cakes.
- Fry on one side for 2-3 minutes, turn and continue with other side until both sides are golden brown
Revised: Oct. 8th, 2016
Save this page in your favourites for when you’re ready to try the recipe. Then, share your master piece with us in the Facebook Comments below or via email email@example.com. Let us know if it tastes the same as those from Palm Grove!